Honoring veterans in the Mid-South |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
“Whether it’s in Afghanistan, or at a military hospital, or at a Veterans Day event in Tennessee, it is humbling and often overwhelming to be in the presence of our active duty service men and women and our nation’s veterans,” said U.S. Senator Bob Corker.
“I approach today with a deep sense of gratitude for their service and sacrifices and with a sense of mission – that the best way I can honor them is to wake up every day committed to doing everything I can to help solve our country’s problems so that we ensure the greatness of America that they have fought to protect.."
Here are some events happening on Monday to honor veterans in the Mid-South.
- Crossroads Hospice recognizes dozens of veterans for their service to the country in patriotic ceremony at the Highlands of Memphis on this Monday at 2 p.m. featuring volunteer veterans and a performance by the Christian Brothers High School marching band. They will receive pins, flags, beads and certificates in moving recognitions as loved ones wave American flags to patriotic music.
- Caesars Entertainment Mid-South Region including Harrah’s, Horseshoe, and Tunica Roadhouse casinos will be honoring veterans and active military personnel on Monday, Nov. 12 by offering them a complimentary meal in the Paula Deen Buffet at Harrah’s Tunica or in the Village Square Buffet at Horseshoe Tunica
- The University of Memphis is planning a series of events in observance of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 12. The University, which has more than 700 students, faculty and staff who are veterans, will hold events throughout the day. The schedule is here.
- On Monday, November 12, Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-09) will host his 4th Annual Veterans Day Luncheon at BRIDGES from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. CT. Congressman Cohen will discuss legislation concerning veterans that is pending before Congress and caseworkers will be on hand to answer questions about benefits and services
- Veterans Parade: starts at 10 a.m. at Second Street and Exchange; Shelby County Sheriff's Department's motorcycle team and the VA Police will escort an extensive line of automobiles from the VA Medical Center at 1030 Jefferson Avenue to the parade site
- Veterans Day service hosted by West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery Support Group, co-hosted by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of Greater Memphis Area - 2:00 p.m. at West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery at 4000 Hill- Irene Road.
- Veterans Invited to eat a free lunch (11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) in any Texas Roadhouse restaurant in Memphis, TN and Horn Lake, MS. Free meal for military personnel only, does not include spouses or other family members.
- Free car wash at Coo Coo 3 Minute Express Wash in Memphis between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.