Mississippi State University student accounts hacked | Crime
Mississippi State University officials are investigating a possible security breach after a computer hacker claimed to break into school computers.
The hacker claims to have access to the user-names, actual names and passwords of 929 students.
A Mississippi State spokesman said steps are being taken to protect the university.
The university reported in a release that no secure data was breached.
It also said the hacker was based in Brazil.
"Cyber-crimes and 'hacking' plague Fortune 500 companies, the federal government, and unfortunately is a reality in higher education as well," said MSU President Mark Keenum.
"We're very sensitive to the concerns such attacks generate, but at this point we believe that the secure data of these individuals remains safe."
Top Olive Branch Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- County property tax hike proposal fires up commissioners, homeowners
- Fans gather for second round of St. Jude Classic
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church to host 30th National Oratorial Festival
- Action News 5's Andrew Douglas cohost for Memphis Training Camp for Dads on June 15
- Collierville's Sunset on the Square Concert Series Starts Thursday June 6th